Is The Original MakeUp Eraser Worth The Money?

Wednesday, February 15, 2017


For Christmas, Jordan surprised me with one beauty-related item that wasn't on my list: The Original MakeUp Eraser makeup remover cloth. In fact, I don't think I ever expressed any interest in this item, so I was truly shocked when I found it in my stocking. Since then I have been testing it out and trying to decide whether it is worth the price tag or not. The verdict? You'll have to keep reading!

The original MakeUp Eraser cloth is a shockingly bright pink color but it has since been released in other colors including black and white. Surprisingly, the cloth is larger than I expected and extremely soft to touch.  Prior to use, it is recommended that you wash the cloth in a washing machine.


That's all fine and dandy, but how does it actually work?

According to their website, the cloth is made of a special polyester and silk fabric blend that, when wet, creates a "hydro-mechanical process that breaks the surface tension of the oils that bond makeup to the skin".  It claims to remove 100% of makeup with just water, including the removal of waterproof mascara in "just seconds".  This is a pretty bold claim to make considering that the majority of women use items such as makeup remover, micellar water, cleansing cloths, or at the very least, soap and water to remove their makeup every day.

So does it actually work though?

After rinsing the cloth in warm water, I applied it to my face in a circular rubbing motion.  I did not scrub my skin with any force and because the cloth is so soft, it felt quite nice and relaxing on the skin.  I had no problem removing my regular mascara but I did have to work a little harder to remove my waterproof mascara (it certainly took longer than seconds!).  I did, however, appreciate that it did not give me the usual raccoon-eye effect that I normally get when removing my mascara.  Afterwards, my skin felt clean without any irritation, dryness, or oiliness (I have normal-combination skin for reference).  I did not notice any increase in breakouts or any change in the overall condition of my skin since using this.

I also love that by using this, I am reducing landfill waste.  The company claims that the cloth is good for 1000 washes and because of the size, I can get 2-3 uses out of it without having to wash it.  While it is being washed, I revert back to my usual micellar water/cotton pad regimen.  I think it would be especially great for traveling on short trips or to pack in your gym bag.  It's also great to know that I am cleansing my skin without the use of any chemicals.

As for the negatives, it would be difficult to use this every day if you only owned one cloth.  You rightfully need two so that one is clean at all times, however, this is not a big deal for me personally.  And while I did have to work harder to remove my waterproof makeup, it didn't require significantly more effort than usual.


Overall, do I think this is worth the money?  While $24 may seem a bit steep to pay for a cloth, if you were to use this regularly, you would quickly get your money's worth as you would no longer have to pay for makeup remover, cotton pads, etc.  That being said, I doubt I would have ever picked this out and paid $24 for it myself.  I do recommend you give this a try though, particularly if you are interested in a gentle product that removes makeup without the use of chemicals or if you are looking to be more environmentally friendly.

Have you tried the Original MakeUp Eraser? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

7 comments:

  1. I was always curious if this actually worked as I'm glad you reviewed it! I'll have to pick this up sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that it worked as well as it did!

      Delete
  2. I got one awhile back when one of my favorite bloggers was raving about it. I think it worked pretty good and share all your thoughts on it. I hate that after a few days it needs washed and then I got several days without using it again. I could totally see the need for two but who wants to pay for two?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree! It would be great for weekend trips, though!

      Delete
  3. I tried another cloth, called the Wonder Cloth, and I didn't love it - it was especially bad for cleaning off eye makeup. Might have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I was pleasantly surprised at how easily this removed my eye makeup without giving me racoon eyes. I hate how the mascara stains the cloth, though (at least until you wash it).

      Delete
  4. You've intrigued me - I've read mixed reviews on this. I never wear waterproof mascara but I always have the hardest time trying to get mascara off of my eyes, even with cleanser.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan