Ipsy August 2016 Review

Friday, August 26, 2016

Ipsy is one of the first ever monthly beauty subscription boxes and remains one of the most popular to this day. It costs $10/month USD and has free shipping within the US but unfortunately charges $4.99 shipping to Canada. With the poor exchange rate, Ipsy costs approximately $20/month in Canada. Ipsy bags contain 5 makeup, skincare or beauty items, which are a combination of deluxe samples and full-size products.

If you recall, July's Ipsy bag was just okay. I received two products that I liked, two that I wasn't a fan of, and one that was okay. I've actually been using the brush since then and I do quite like it for filling in my brows, so technically I guess I enjoyed three of the products! Ipsy always says that the more reviews you do on your bags, the better your future bags will be as they are less likely to send items that you reviewed poorly in the past. I have to say, I was pleased with my August Ipsy bag upon first impression but less so once I tried the products.


First of all, the mermaid bag designed by founder Michelle Phan is super cute. They had two designs, both which were pastel and featured mermaids - love! In my August Ipsy bag, I received the following five products:

Jersey Shore Cosmetics Mongongo Anti-Aging Lip Conditioner | I received this in the scent "Vanilla Coconut Cream" but unfortunately, it doesn't smell as good as it sounds. I seem to get a plastic scent that reminds me of Silly Putty. I do like that the lip balm is organic and made with nourishing ingredients as it feels nice on the lips, but I'm not a fan of the scent. Approximate sample value: $10.

Tarte Cosmetics Lip Surgence Lip Creme | I received this in the color "Wonder" and I love it. I'm a big fan of Tarte and lip pencils are my favourite! The color is a gorgeous bright mauvey pink. The formula is comfortable and wears nicely, leaving a slight stain on the lips. Approximate sample value: $12.80.

Symphony Beauty Makeup Cleansing Wipes | I received these in the "Cucumber & Aloe Vera" scent which are meant to moisturize skin. The scent is light and refreshing and reminds me of some other wipes that I've tried before, though I cannot remember which ones! The wipes are stretchy and sturdy and did an excellent job of removing my makeup, while leaving my face soft and moisturized. I love receiving these in subscription boxes because they are perfect to toss in my toiletries bag for travelling. Approximate sample value: $1.83.

Nomad Cosmetics Intense Eyeshadow | I received this in the color "Spice Market" which is a warm, terracotta color. I'm not really a fan of the color as it is too orange for my taste. The pigmentation is okay. I cannot speak for the longevity as I have only swatched this product. I am also not a fan of the packaging as it feels quite cheap and flimsy. I will likely be tossing this or passing it on to someone else. Approximate sample value: $5? (It's contained in a multi product set, so that's a guess!)

Beau Gachis Paris Pro Series Applicator Sponge | This is a teardrop shaped beauty sponge that mimics the famous Beauty Blender. I'm a huge fan of the Beauty Blender but I didn't like this one at all. This sponge is black and feels denser when squeezed. It seemed to soak up most of my foundation to the point where I had to use about double the amount to cover my face. Not to mention, the foundation didn't look nearly as nice when applied. This will be a toss for sure unless someone wants to take it off my hands and give it a try! Approximate sample value: $11.50.

The total approximate sample value of this Ipsy bag is $41.13 USD ($53.26 CAD) which is more than double the price that I paid. I absolutely love everything about the Tarte lip crayon - the brand, color, and formula! I also love the makeup remover wipes. The other three products were unfortunately a miss for me. Hopefully next month will be better!

If you'd like to sign up for Ipsy, feel free to use my referral code!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan