Goals for 2016

Thursday, January 21, 2016


Okay so I may be 21 days late with this post but better late than never, am I right?

Honestly, I've been debating whether or not to start a blog.  It's not my first foray into the blog world but I've never been able to continue with the effort required to sustain a blog.  It's all fun and games for a month or so and then I run out of things to talk about and the thought of editing one more photo makes me want to die.  But yet, here we are again. Do I think it will last this time?  Maybe, hopefully.

A few weeks ago, my friends and I were reminiscing about Livejournal and how, for a while, everyone and their dog had one.  It was fun to go back and look through the old journal entries and laugh at our naive, youthful selves.  I actually kept a Livejournal for ten years, from 2003-2013.  Granted, the entries were sporadic at best by the end of it, but I still love having all those memories to look back on, so that's where this "lifestyle" blog enters the picture.  My life is hardly exciting but I do miss having a place to store all my memories.  Also, I really need a creative outlet.  In hindsight (of course), I probably should have chosen a career in a creative field but alas, I took the safe route and now I'm stuck with a job that I am not passionate about.  Here I can talk about fashion and makeup and the little things in life that excite me, and no one can tell me otherwise.

So without further ado, let's get started.

Get Healthy | Here's the thing - I'm currently carrying an extra few (unwanted) pounds.  People often look at me and say "Where exactly do you need to lose weight?" because I am petite, but it doesn't change the fact that I am currently 25lbs heavier than I was in high school.  Do I want to be that weight again?  No.  Do I want to lose about 12lbs and get back to my "normal" weight?  Absolutely.  Jordan and I bought gym passes this month which, in all honesty, is something I never expected to do in this lifetime. I hate working out with a passion.  I hate sweating.  I hate feeling like I'm going to throw up.  I was the girl who refused to participate in P.E. classes.  But the fact of the matter is that I am getting older, my metabolism is slowing down, and I can no longer avoid it.  I've been working out 3-4 times a week and my jeans are already fitting better.  Also, I don't want to die of heart disease, so there's that.

Wear Lipstick Every Day | This is a fun goal.  My lipstick collection is currently rivalling that of Sephora (I wish), yet I keep buying more.  The thing is, if you never use it, you will never have any less.  Duh, right?  So in order to justify buying more, I need to use what I have.

Pay Off Bills | I'm not going to lie, I have credit card debt.  Sure, this is the new normal in our generation, but I hate it.  The thing is - building and maintaining a house is expensive.  It's not as easy to pay off bills now as it was when I lived at home, rent-free.  I'm hoping to have at least the majority of my bills paid off by the end of June 2016, and then I want to start saving.

Save, Save, Save | Because you never know when you are going to need it.  And also because you want to build a bigger house.

Read 12 Books | This is such a small number that my book-loving self is ashamed to even say it. However, when you consider that I only read a handful of books last year, it is an improvement.  I love to read, but lately I've found myself more caught up in reading blogs and watching Youtube videos.  I'm trying my best to read at least a chapter every night or so in order to read an average of one book a month.  I've already finished one book ("Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell) and I'm currently working on my second.

So there it is, my goals for 2016.  Nothing too major, but hopefully I will end up in a better place, physically and financially by the end of the year.  Also, putting this out in the universe is really scary, so perhaps 2016 will be the year that I also let go of my fears and just do whatever makes me happy.

11 comments:

  1. I remember the days of live journal! I'm pretty sure I made one just because everyone else was and I wanted you to think I was cool. Congrats on starting your blog. :) Doing what makes you happy is much more important than what other people might think of you. I look forward to hearing the updates on your goals! Particularly the working out because I'm very lazy and need to start going to the gym so maybe you going will give me the inspiration! Also add keeping in touch with old friends to that list. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should add "Visit my friends in Newfoundland" to your list of goals too!

      Delete
    2. Point taken lol. It is on my list! Don't worry.

      Delete
    3. "and I wanted you to think I was cool"

      Haha. Zack.

      Delete
    4. Oh, those were the days! Now he clearly doesn't care if I think he's cool or not.

      Delete
  2. Yay. I love this! Nothing about connecting on Facebook ever felt quite right, but blogging will always have my heart.

    In hindsight (of course), I probably should have chosen a career in a creative field but alas, I took the safe route and now I'm stuck with a job that I am not passionate about.

    No one should be expected to anticipate how they want to spend $50,000 on their future at 18, nor to understand the impact if they choose wrong. And to sound a bit trite, it's never too late to do something you love. The people here that I encounter in my work life have often had many careers or are working in things unrelated to their degree, which I love. And as totally painful it is to be slowly pushing through my first degree at 26, I can appreciate that it'll be worth it in the end. If there ever is an end.

    Jordan and I bought gym passes this month which, in all honesty, is something I never expected to do in this lifetime. I hate working out with a passion. I hate sweating. I hate feeling like I'm going to throw up. I was the girl who refused to participate in P.E. classes.

    Healthier lifestyle is on my list this year as well. I have no plans to go to the gym but I might start with consistent yoga classes, because that's bearable, and work my way up to real exercise. This is not something I'm excited about.

    Read 12 Books | This is such a small number that my book-loving self is ashamed to even say it.

    This is such a great goal, I'm going to steal it! I'd be reluctant to count the number of books I took out from the library last year that sat on my nightstand unread. Not to mention the money I've spent on overdue late fees. I'm currently reading Chocolat, and I'm planning to join Hermione's Feminist Book Club next month :D

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing makes my day like a thoughtful comment from my long-lost (but ever-remaining) best friend on my very first blog post!

      I wholeheartedly agree that no one should be expected to determine how they want to spend the rest of their lives (or student loans/parents money) at 18. You should be required to take at least a year off after high school and explore different careers. I jumped into mine thinking I would come out with a permanent job and a decent paycheck, and while that remains true (and has allowed me to have the life that I currently have), it doesn't make me happy. The upside of nursing is that there are many different career options. The downside is that they are limited in a small town. I cannot fathom the idea of spending another $40,000+ on a new degree. I just need to win the lottery and become a wedding planner, I think.

      It doesn't appear that you have gotten any bigger since the last time I seen you, therefore I'm guessing you are trying to be more active just to be healthy. Which is fine too, though not nearly as motivating as going up a pant size because the size that you always wore doesn't fit anymore.

      I'm planning to post book reviews on here as I finish them so you may even be able to steal some recommendations! I'm currently reading "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed and loving it. Let me know how you are enjoying your book(s)! xx

      Delete
  3. Janine I think having the courage to do what you love or what you want to do regardless of what people think is fearless and awesome!:) Ps. I read that book Wild it was really good, hope you enjoy it:) Pss. We still have to work out together soon! Hah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to blogging! I feel like I missed out on being one of the cool kids, I never had a LiveJournal page. Darn! I love blogging only because I don't feel pressured by it. Sure, it's grown more than I had anticipated recently, but it's still got the basics of why I started: I wanted a space of my own, to write about what I've done/how I feel and be able to look back on it. It's way more fun to me than social media because I'm not competing with anyone or being distracted by anything. It's only ever what I want it to be.

    I used to work in an administration field. And I felt like I was drowning. I quit my job back in August 2014 to do my own creative business and be my own boss and I'm still going strong. It's never too late to do what you love. Maybe you're not ready today...but you've got time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'm so jealous that you were able to quit your job and be your own boss! I'm not sure that I ever could but I admire those of you with the determination to do it. But who knows what the future will hold!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan