Tips for Attending Your First Bridal Show

Monday, February 19, 2018

I attended my first ever bridal show this past weekend. Despite having many of my vendors booked, I really wanted to attend a show just to check it off my wedding bucket list. It can be a very overwhelming experience so I figured I would pass along some tips that I discovered. If you are just starting to plan your wedding, I highly recommend checking out a show as it’s a great way to meet a variety of vendors in one setting.

BEFORE YOU GO…

  1. Pre-register for the show online if it is an option! It saves time when you arrive. The show I attended was cash-only but if there’s an option to pre-pay online, I would also recommend doing so.
  2. Check out the list of vendors & make a list of those that you want to meet with. I already had a lot of my main vendors booked so I had a short list to visit! If you’re in the early stages of planning, keep an open mind and shop around.
  3. Print mini labels with your name, address, and phone number. Most vendors have prize giveaways and this will save you from having to write out your info each time!
  4. Take a buddy! At this show, the bride and groom could enter the prize draws, but friends and family could not. Therefore you could double your chances by taking your significant other! I took a group of friends with me but if they are already married or not planning a wedding, it may not be very exciting for them.

WHEN YOU ARRIVE…

  1. The show that I attended was giving away bridal bags to the first 200 brides. I opted not to arrive when the doors opened at 11am because quite frankly, I didn’t care if I got a bag or not. I arrived at 1pm and actually snagged the last bag! It contained a gym bag, some chocolates, pens, and a bridal magazine.
  2. Try not to get overwhelmed! When I first walked into the room, I was immediately overwhelmed with vendors vying for my attention. If there was a booth that I definitely wasn’t interested in (for example, I already had my photographer booked so I skipped those booths), I tended to avoid eye contact and kept walking!
  3. That being said, most vendors had prize giveaways which often required making small conversation. If I wasn’t interested in the prize, I kept going! But I would talk to anyone if it meant getting the opportunity to win a great prize.
  4. Be prepared to answer the following: who’s the bride? When is your wedding? Where are you getting married? Do you have your [vendor] booked?
  5. Try samples! Cake vendors often provide sample mini cupcakes and one of the catering companies was sharing samples of mashed potatoes & gravy! I was too stuffed from breakfast to try anything so learn from my mistake and leave a little room for snacking.
  6. Introduce yourself and take the time to chat with any vendors you are interested in. I was able to speak to the bridal salon that I loved, a florist, and a DJ, as those were three vendors that I hadn’t booked yet. I bypassed the decorators (but oogled their set ups for ideas!), the venues, and the photographers as I already had those booked.
  7. Be prepared to book your vendors on the spot or within a few days! The vendors tend to have promotions on for the bridal shows. I was able to book my florist and save the tax! Many other vendors offered $50-$200 off their packages or products if you booked at the show (also another reason to bring your significant other).
  8. Head to the fashion show early! We waited until about 5 minutes before the show started and unfortunately, we didn’t have prime viewing. I do recommend the fashion show if you haven’t purchased your wedding dress or bridesmaid dresses. It was so nice to see the dresses in motion as it definitely gives a different perspective than seeing them on a mannequin!
  9. The bridal show that I attended offered a $1000 cash prize draw to one lucky bride! The only catch: you still had to be in attendance when it was drawn. This is why I opted to arrive late rather than early. They actually had to call three names before they found a bride that was still there.

AFTER YOU LEAVE…

  1. I’m not an impulsive shopper so I didn’t book any vendors at the show. I went home, discussed what I liked with my fiancé, then contacted the vendors that I was interested in booking. They still honored the discount when I told them we were speaking at the bridal show.

Have you ever attended a bridal show? Do you have any other tips for future brides?

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan