Butterfly Lash Extensions: Are They Worth It?

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Lash extensions have suddenly become all the rage and I quickly hopped on the bandwagon. I absolutely love the look of false lashes but I cannot apply them to save my life. I usually end up gluing the lashes to my fingers rather than my eyelids then throwing them away in frustration. Therefore, lash extensions seemed like the perfect alternative! But are they worth the price and upkeep?

Cost

The cost of getting eyelash extensions for the first time will vary depending on the business. However, a general range seems to be around $70-$100 for home-based businesses and $100-175 for salons. I got mine applied at a salon while they were running a promotion, so I only paid $89 + tax. I definitely wouldn’t pay full price for them! My suggestion is to follow local salons and keep an eye on promo prices.

Procedure

Prior to getting my eyelash extensions, I had to sign a waiver. The waiver informed me of the risks involved, asked for pertinent health information that could affect the application (such as claustrophobia), and ensured that I would not sue due to loss of eyesight, damage, etc. I’m sure the chances of that happening are very low but if you aren’t willing to take those risks, best to avoid them altogether.

I got settled on to the table with a cozy blanket and heating pad and my lash tech asked what style of lashes I wanted. I opted for a semi-natural look as it was my first time getting them. The initial process took about 3 hours. I honestly thought it was incredibly relaxing but I have a claustrophobic friend who hated getting her extensions applied.

After Care

I am so glad I chose the more “natural” look and I was very impressed my lashes. However, the maintenance for lash extensions is intense. You have to avoid water and steam for 24 hours but after that, you still have to be careful not to submerge them in water. To prolong the lashes, you are also supposed to avoid oil-based makeup and makeup removers. You cannot wear mascara (you really don’t need it) and eyeliner can also affect the durability of the glue.

On top of that, you have to get your lashes filled every 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast your lashes grow and your extensions shed. Most everyone that I know has to get them filled every 2 weeks. I went back for a fill at two and a half weeks and I feel like I had about 50-60% of my lashes gone at that point. The fill took around an hour and a half, which I didn’t mind, but the cost is insane! It cost me over $60 with tax and a tip. I understand why it costs so much (the product itself, the tedious work) but it’s a tough pill to swallow every two weeks.

Lash Extensions

Overall, are lash extensions worth it? I’m not going to lie, I do love mine. I love that my makeup takes less time and I can roll out of bed and actually look half-normal. I also love that they are weightless and comfortable (unlike false lashes). However, they require a lot of maintenance and money. If I had a large disposable income, I would never take them off. Sadly, I cannot afford $120+ a month for fills and will eventually have to bite the bullet and remove them. I will definitely consider getting them again for special occasions, like a vacation or my wedding though.

Have you ever tried lash extensions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan