5 Food Trucks to Try in Newfoundland

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

While food trucks have been all the rage for a few years now, it is only recently that they have exploded on to the food scene in Newfoundland. From vegetarian to traditional favourites and everything in between, I’ve compiled a list of five food trucks to check out on the east coast of Newfoundland.

Saucy Mouth (Bonavista, NL)

Nestled amongst old salt box houses and historic buildings, this bold teal food truck is surprisingly easy to miss in Bonavista! Luckily Google Maps helped us find it because this was one place we didn’t want to miss! With a menu focused on specialty fries and rice/noodle bowls, this vegetarian truck sold me on fake beef. The flavours are different but tasty and surprisingly healthy. The homemade sodas and lemonade are also not to be missed! With a regularly changing menu, I will definitely be back to try more.

Saucy Mouth Food Truck

Oh My Cheeses (Port Rexton and St. John’s, NL)

You can catch Oh My Cheeses at the Port Rexton Brewery on a regular basis but they can also be found at the St. John’s Farmers Market throughout the year. The fresh homemade sourdough bread combined with generous portions of cheese and fun toppings like partridgeberries, blueberry balsamic jam, siracha mayo, apple maple bacon and more, make it hard to resist a stop here. Not to mention, it pairs surprisingly well with a beer! While you’re here, be sure to pick up a meal of their OG street fries too!

Oh My Cheeses

Oh My Cheeses Food Truck

Hitchen The Kitchen (St. John’s, NL)

Owned by Blue on Water and the most popular food truck at the moment, you have to head to this one early before they sell out. Famously known for their salt beef poutine, they also serve tacos, chicken burgers, hamburgers and more. Don’t be fooled though – these aren’t your ordinary menu items! Just take one look at their Instagram and try not to drool. Unfortunately I missed out on the salt beef poutine but did try the mozza stick poutine as well as the spicy chicken tacos which are amazing.

Hitchen The Kitchen

Hitchen The Kitchen Food Truck

Big Boy Baos (St. John’s, NL)

Ownd by Seto Kitchen + Bar, this is the first food truck that I haven’t tried yet but it’s definitely on my to-do list! I’ve never even tried a bao before but according to Google, it is a “Chinese steamed bread roll with a filling of meat or vegetables”. Available in a variety of flavors with toppings like hoison aoili, pickled onions and chickpea falafel and served with fries.

The Fishing Stage (Port Rexton, NL)

I’m stretching the description of food trucks here to include The Fishing Stage, which is definitely more of a stationary trailer, however, I feel it deserves a place on the list. I haven’t actually eaten here yet but in my research I discovered that they sell lobster rolls so I am really regretting that. The Fishing Stage sells a more traditional Newfoundland menu, focused on cod and fries. However, they are so good that they keep running out of fresh fish! I’ve also been told that the portions are generous and the price is more than fair.

Have you tried any of these food trucks? Any recommendations for others? Leave a coment below & let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan